Sometimes, the most rewarding travel experiences are the ones that unfold serendipitously. This was the case with my visit to Yongmeori Coast on a recent trip to Jeju Island.

Yongmeori Coast

While enjoying a cup of latte at the charming Chai Cafe, I decided to check Naver Map for nearby places to visit so I could make the most of my day trip to Seogwipo. It was then that I stumbled upon Yongmeori Coast, a name that piqued my curiosity – "Dragon's Head Coast" in Korean. I saw it was just a 10 to 15-minute walk from the cafe, so I decided to go there after finishing my coffee.


What to Expect at Yongmeori Coast

Unlike the more heavily trafficked tourist spots brimming with foreigners, the Yongmeori Coast seems to be a favorite among Korean tourists in Jeju. While this offered an exciting prospect of experiencing a more authentic Jeju, I also realized it might require some additional effort in terms of navigating the area, particularly for non-Korean speakers.

Apparently, tidal variations can sometimes restrict access to the coastline. Fortunately, my visit coincided with low tide, so I was able to fully appreciate the dramatic rock formations via the designated walking trail.

Yongmeori Coast in Jeju
Yongmeori Coast with Sanbangsan in the background

The sight that greeted me was nothing short of breathtaking. Millions of years of volcanic activity and subsequent erosion had sculpted the cliffs into mesmerizing shapes. The layered bands of sandstone were undeniably striking.

Walking the entire trail would probably take around 25 minutes, but, of course, it took longer because I couldn't stop taking photos and pausing every now and then to admire the views. 

Along the trail, you may encounter the legendary Haenyeo, or "sea women." These awe-inspiring ladies are free divers who have harvested seafood from Jeju's waters for generations. You'll see them selling their fresh catches along the coast – glistening urchins, plump sea snails, and maybe even some oysters. If you're feeling adventurous, you can buy and enjoy the freshest seafood right there.

Yongmeori Coast in Jeju
fresh catches by the Haenyeo

As a solo traveler, I'd typically ask a fellow tourist to take my photos, but because there seemed to be no other foreign tourist in sight, I sort of just accepted that I wouldn't be able to have a nice photo of myself here. 

Luckily, an old Korean couple noticed that I was alone and nicely offered to take my pictures. They asked me in Korean, and while I couldn't speak the language fluently, I could at least make out the word for "picture" (사진). Plus, they were also pointing at my phone, so of course, I said yes! And the photos turned out great—I was so happy!

Yongmeori Coast in Jeju
the lady even told me where to stand and pose

How to Get to Yongmeori Coast

Yongmeori Coast is situated on the southwestern coast of Jeju Island, at the foot of Sanbangsan and near Andeok-myeon. The most convenient way to get here is by driving.  

If you're staying in Seogwipo City, you can take any bus heading towards Changcheon-ri. Buses depart frequently, roughly every 30 minutes, and the journey takes approximately 30-40 minutes. Once you arrive at Changcheon-ri, look for the bus stop for the Line 181 bus heading towards Sanbangsan (ì‚°ë°©ì‚°). The frequency of this bus might be lower than the first one, so you might have a short wait.

If you're staying in Jeju-Si, you can take an express bus bound for Seogwipo Bus Terminal. These buses depart frequently throughout the day, and the journey takes roughly 1 hour and 10 minutes. Then, take the Line 181 bus to Sanbangsan. Or you can just do what I did—wing it using Naver Map. Alternatively, you can also take a taxi but expect that it will be expensive given the distance.

Yongmeori Coast
the stunning rock formations

Where to Get Tickets to Yongmeori Coast

Admission to Yongmeori Coast isn't free, but the ticketing process is straightforward. When you get to the entrance gate, you'll find a booth where tickets can be purchased for aRW2,000 for adults, with discounted rates for children and seniors. 

It is highly recommended that you check the tides before your visit. A few days later, a local tour guide told me that the Yongmeori Coast isn't frequently open and that I was really lucky that day. She even said their company tried to include it in their day tours, but they chose not to because the tides were unpredictable. As I experienced firsthand, low tide is best for walking along the coastline. 

Yongmeori Coast in Jeju
the start of the coastal walk


Yongmeori Coast was a nice, unexpected treat during my trip. If you want to go somewhere different in Jeju, I'd highly recommend going here. After walking along the coastline, you can also do a little hike on one of the Sanbangsan trails to make the most of your visit. Sanbangsan is located right next to Yongmeori Caost, and there's actually a combination ticket for these two spots. I would've done the hike if my legs weren't still sore from Hallasan - which you can read all about in my one of my previous posts.