I’ve been to Seoul several times, and the War Memorial of Korea was one of those places I eventually decided to add to my itinerary because I wanted to see something a little different. If you’re interested in history, particularly war history, there’s a lot here to explore, and you could easily spend a few hours going through the exhibits.
Despite the name, it’s not just a memorial. The museum covers Korea’s military history across different periods, although naturally, a large part of it focuses on the Korean War. There are thousands of artifacts across the indoor galleries and outdoor exhibition areas, including military equipment, photographs, documents, and personal items.
One of the best things about visiting is that general admission is completely free. For a museum this large and with this much to see, I think it’s one of the more underrated free attractions you can add to a Seoul itinerary.
What to Expect at the War Memorial of Korea
There’s a lot more to see here than I initially expected, both inside the museum and around the outdoor grounds. I’d set aside at least a couple of hours if you want to properly go through the exhibits, and even longer if you’re particularly interested in military history and tend to stop and read everything.
Korean War Exhibitions
A major part of the museum is dedicated to the Korean War, covering the events leading up to the war, major battles, and what happened throughout the conflict. There’s a lot of information to take in, so I’d give yourself enough time if this is the part you’re most interested in.
It’s also not just a collection of military objects. Photos, documents, maps, personal belongings, and other displays help give more context to the people and events behind the history.
Korea’s Wider Military History
The exhibitions aren’t limited to the Korean War. Other galleries take you further back through Korea’s military history, so you get a broader look at the conflicts, weapons, and military developments that shaped the country over different periods.
I found the museum genuinely interesting to walk through, especially because there was much more to see than I expected. Even if you come primarily for the Korean War exhibits, it’s worth taking some time to explore the other sections too.
Outdoor Exhibitions
There’s plenty to see outside the museum as well, including large military equipment that obviously wouldn’t fit inside a regular gallery. The outdoor exhibition includes aircraft, tanks, artillery, and other military vehicles and equipment.
The grounds also have several monuments and memorial sculptures, including the Statue of Brothers, which depicts two brothers who fought on opposing sides during the Korean War. It’s one of the most recognizable monuments at the museum and represents reconciliation following the division of Korea.
Cafe and Store
There’s also a cafe inside the museum if you want to take a break, which is pretty useful considering how much there is to see. There’s a store too, and this was actually more interesting than the usual museum souvenir shop.
Aside from regular souvenirs, you can buy military-inspired clothing and gear that civilians can actually wear and use. I wasn’t expecting to find that inside a museum store, so it’s worth having a look even if you’re not necessarily planning to buy anything.
How to Get to the War Memorial of Korea
The War Memorial of Korea is located in Yongsan, and getting there by subway is pretty straightforward. Take Seoul Subway Line 4 or Line 6 to Samgakji Station, then walk from the station to the memorial.
The museum is only a short walk away, so you don’t really need to plan additional transportation once you get to Samgakji. It’s also relatively close to areas like Itaewon, making it easy to combine with other stops around Yongsan.
I really enjoyed my visit and would recommend it if you’re interested in history, particularly war history. There’s so much to see that you can spend hours here without realizing it, and I liked that the exhibits went beyond simply displaying military equipment and gave plenty of historical context as well.
The fact that it’s free makes it even easier to recommend. Seoul has plenty of museums and historic attractions, but the War Memorial of Korea was one of the more interesting ones I’ve visited and is definitely worth adding to an itinerary if this is the kind of history you enjoy.




0 Comments