Dodubong is a little corner of Jeju Island that offers a refreshing escape from the more crowded tourist spots. I saw this town while I was on the bus to Iho Tewoo Beach and decided to add it to my itinerary late that day.

Dodubong in Jeju
my "Welcome to Samdal-ri" moment at Dodubong Peak

Known for its laid-back atmosphere and stunning coastal views, this quaint area has a charm that’s hard to resist.


What to Expect at Dodubong

Dodu-bong offers a unique blend of natural beauty, local charm, and unexpected attractions. I only spent a couple of hours there, but I fell in love with the place. The best part is that all these attractions are free.

Fishing Town Vibe

At its heart, Dodubong is a fishing town, with lots of vibrant seafood restaurants in the area. Fresh catches of the day are transformed into mouthwatering dishes, offering a true taste of Jeju. You may even get to see some haenyeo, or 'women of the sea', who are part of a unique culture in Jeju Island. These women dive for seafood to provide for their families.

Dodubong in Jeju
the small fishing village in Dodubong

Dodubong Peak

For those seeking a bit of adventure, Dodubong Peak is a must-visit. This gentle climb rewards hikers with breathtaking panoramic views of the coastline and the Jeju International Airport. You get to watch planes make their ascend and descend. 

Dodubong in Jeju
view of the airport at Dodubong Peak

Intriguingly, this very peak featured in the popular K-drama, "Welcome to Samdalri," which I only realized that day. I watched that K-drama earlier this year, and it was easily one of my favorites. The storyline is very heartwarming - I mean, I cried buckets during the ending. Plus, this was the K-drama that really made me want to visit Jeju Island. 

When I reached the highest point of Dodubong Peak, I got a bit teary-eyed.

Dodubong in Jeju
a scene in "Welcome to Samdal-ri", starring Ji Chang-wook and Shin Hye-sun | © JTBC

Dodu Rainbow Coastal Road

One of the most Instagrammable spots in the area is undoubtedly the Rainbow Coastal Road. It’s a perfect spot for a leisurely stroll while taking in the stunning sea views.

Dodubong in Jeju
Dodu Rainbow Coastal Road

How to Get to Dodubong

Dodubong is conveniently located near Jeju International Airport and Jeju City, making it a great option for a leisurely day trip combined with Iho Tewoo Beach. So, from the beach, I simply walked for about 30 minutes, passing by another small town. 

The area is well-connected by public transportation, with several bus routes serving the area. If you're coming from Jeju City, you can simply check Naver Map for the most convenient bus route to get to Dodubong. Alternatively, you can take a taxi, which is faster and easier, but also more expensive.

Dodubong in Jeju


Needless to say, Dodubong captured my heart and I would love to visit this area again when I go back to the island. This charming coastal village is a hidden gem that deserves a place on your Jeju itinerary.