Run United 2 2015

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Last Sunday, June 7, the second installment of this year's Unilab Active Health Run United Trilogy took place at the SM Mall of Asia grounds. Even though I didn't have a lot of training during the past couple of months because of my weird work schedule, I was actually quite excited for this because this would be my second afroman distance (32k) event, and I had been planning my revenge on this. Last year, my time was not so good. I finished at 4:42-ish which was past the cut-off time set by the organizers. I still got the medal, though, just like everyone else who finished beyond the cut-off, but I wasn't really proud of it.
race day OOTD (lolz :D):
Nike Womens 10k first 500 finisher shirt
2XU Women's Elite compression pants
New Balance Visor
New Balance socks
Asics Gel-Kayano 20 (my fave)
Fitletic running belt and bib holder

This year, I came to the event mentally prepared. Physically prepared? Hmm, I tried. Like I said, I lacked training but I made sure that I had enough sleep the night before. I also had a good pre-race meal with lots of sodium. I bought three packets of GU three days prior. One of which I already consumed thirty minutes before the race, and the two reserved for during. I also brought with me four Saltsticks capsules. I had a nice warm-up before the event. I was armed and ready to go. I took it easy during the first half with a 7:45-ish per kilometer pace, while doing the Galloway (4:1). I think it was around the 19th km when I decided to pick up my pace (still doing the Galloway), and I was consistent with it up to the 29th km. It was within the last two kilometers when my legs started to cramp. My left thigh was already feeling stiff and there was some tinge of pain. I was already out of Saltsticks by then because clumsy me dropped the fourth one with around five kilometers to go. But I didn't stop. I decided to just walk slowly, ignoring the pain on my hamstrings. I heard someone call my name, and I saw one of my running friends and decided to pace with him for the remainder of the race. He was also injured then, so we just ran and walked alternately. With around 500m to go, we sprinted towards the finish line. While I didn't make it to my target time of sub-4, I managed to clock in a new PR and I was happy nonetheless.
 don't mind the imbyerna face here, haha

Overall, I still had a good run despite the very humid weather that morning. There was no sun, but there was no breeze either. I felt hot and sticky, I just wanted to get it over with. The event itself was very well-organized, as usual. I like the minor changes that they did for this installment wherein the online registrants have an option to either claim their kits or have it delivered. And if you will be choosing the first option, you also get to choose the store where you want to claim it. I did that and it's more convenient. It saved me from the hassle and anxiety of waiting for my kit to be delivered, not knowing when it's going to arrive. Both the singlet and the shirt was nice. There's nothing new with the route. There's ample hydration and lots of marshals. It was nothing less than what's expected. So kudos to Unilab Active Health and to Runrio for organizing this race!
 with TBR 2015 batchmates, photo grabbed from RJ
with Team aRUNkada
rank: 1429th out of 3671 runners, official chip time: 4:11:39

So I managed to shave off more than 30 minutes from my 32k personal best. Achieve. Yay! Next goal: sub-4 (yan na talaga, promise). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment