Almost all of my past races were good experiences but I don’t think any of them will be as memorable as the recently concluded Condura Skyway Marathon 2015. From what transpired on the starting line, to the race proper, and after crossing the finish line, the event, in its entirety, is one for the books.

The race proper for the 42k runners opened with 44 white balloons being released. There was a marching band that played at the gun start of every wave. And several meters from the starting line, there were 44 PNP-SAF commandos, standing in line, holding photos of the brave 44. I got a bit teary-eyed when I made a salute to the SAF commandos to pay homage to the brave, fallen 44. It was very heartwarming. The race went by with a blur. The route was moderately difficult with looong, gradual uphills and downhills, and some flat surfaces. There was ample hydration every two or so kilometers. There were also bananas, which I conveniently skipped because I was feeling bloated that day. Anyways, I breezed through the race maintaining my usual 4:1 run walk method, while greeting marshals and familiar faces, and calling out to my friends along the way. I saw many runners wearing black ribbons tied around their wrists or arms, some with SAF 44 painted on them, and some sporting shirts especially made for the event. There was a quick fireworks display that I got to witness when I was around less than 2km from the finish line. And that was when I went for it, sprinting as fast as I can, hoping to clock in a sub-2:30 half-marathon. I didn't make it though, but I managed to shave off 11 minutes from my 21k PR. Overall, I had a nice, easy run, and I crossed the finish line with a huge smile on my face knowing that I just beat my personal best. At the finishers kit claiming area, we were awarded our finishers medal by members of the Air Force. Again, I almost got teary-eyed here as they were thanking us for running for the SAF 44 and for the HERO foundation.

The Condura Skyway Marathon 2015 will be one of those runs that I will always remember. The experience was truly priceless, albeit the registration fee. Haha. But kidding aside, I will definitely look forward to its installment next year. 
Team aRUNkada with Jeff Lo of Pinoy Fitness | © Pinoy Fitness
rank: 1185 out of 4403 runners, official time: 2:31:28