I started dyeing my hair when I was in college. At first, I was afraid to do it because of hair scare stories that I've heard from people and read on the internet. But I've decided to get rid of those fears and get a dye job. Thankfully, it went well and I had this awesome new hair color. I believe it was chestnut brown at the time.

Since then, I've been regularly getting my hair dyed at my trusty salon whenever I feel like changing it a bit. I went through a series of hair color changes; from chestnut brown to dark brown to copper to reddish brown to almost blonde. I even went Mary-Jane Watson red (uhm, Spiderman reference here) one time. But nothing too drastic though.

Just last year, I have discovered the beauty of bleaching my hair. I learned about it when I wanted to try the popular ombre trend. Bleaching is necessary if you want to have ombre hair. At first, I was really wary about bleaching my hair because from what I heard, it can get quite painful because it stings. Plus, it is a fact that bleaching dries out and damages the hair. Thank goodness I found out that there is a safer way. This is where bleach bath comes in. Bleach bathing your hair is basically just bleaching it but with the reduced chemicals of bleach as it is diluted with shampoo. I've done it several times and I've decided to share this DIY procedure with you, so here's how.

What you need:
bleach powder
oxidizing solution
shampoo
mixing bowl

What to do:

  1. Do a patch test before using the bleach. This is to make sure that the chemicals won't cause any allergic reactions on your skin. Just mix a small amount of bleach with two parts oxidizing solution and apply it on your skin. See if it causes any redness or itching and monitor for 48 hours. Do not use the product if you get any reactions.
  2. Pour the bleach powder and two parts oxidizing solution on the mixing bowl. Some brands may provide different instructions so just follow that to be safe.
  3. Add two parts shampoo in the mix. 
  4. Wash your hair with cool water and towel dry it. Bleach is easier to apply on damp hair but it should not be dripping wet.
  5. Apply the bleach on your hair. If you want, you can only apply it to some parts of your hair. It really depends on what you want.
  6. Clip your hair or wear a shower cap, or just leave it be. Wearing a shower cap, though, would make the bleach work faster.
  7. Check your hair every now and then to see if your hair color has lightened. You only need about 7-10 minutes if your hair is already bleached. If you want to remove a dark dye, you may need to leave it on for longer than 10-15 minutes but DO NOT leave it on for more than 30 minutes.
  8. Rinse the bleach once you have achieved your desired hair color, and let it dry. 


And here are some helpful tips:
  • Use latex gloves when applying bleach to protect your skin from the chemicals.
  • Put a towel or an old piece of clothing around your neck and shoulders to also protect the skin around the area.
  • If you want to do another bleach wash, you may do so right away. There is no need to wait for 24 hours but again, keep in mind that bleach damages the the hair.
  • Condition your hair everyday to keep it soft and smooth, and to prevent it from drying out.
The Before Shot
after

Take note that before I did the bleach bath, my hair has already been dyed brown and bleached no more than six months ago. Which is why it has that certain effect or shade.

Okay, so there you go. That's it for this quick DIY. Hope this helps if ever you are having hair dyeing and bleaching dilemmas. If you have any questions for me, just feel free to leave a comment and I will answer as best as I could. Toodles! :)