One thing I've learned during my travels in South Korea is that if you're looking for an excellent local restaurant, go for places with only a few items on their menu. This is because they focus all their attention on making those dishes really great.

An example of this is Myeongdong Kyoja, a beloved Korean restaurant famous for its delicious kalguksu, or knife-cut noodle soup, and mandu, or dumplings. 

It's a very popular place for both locals and tourists, and one thing that sets it apart is that it has a Bib Gourmand recognition from the Michelin Guide. This award is given to restaurants that offer excellent quality food at affordable prices. So, you can expect a delicious meal without breaking the bank.

Myeongdong Kyoja

I've passed by this place many times during my travels to Seoul, but it was always crowded, so I only recently went. I was shopping in Myeongdong when I passed the restaurant and saw it wasn't as crowded as usual. So I decided to join the queue. There were two queues: one for big groups and another for solo diners and pairs. After a couple of minutes, I got a table. 

Myeongdong Kyoja had about four dishes on its menu. Of course, I ordered the kalguksu, and it did not disappoint. I also wanted to order some dumplings, but I didn't think I could finish them. 

After I placed my order, I only waited for my food for roughly 5 minutes. The bowl of kalguksu arrived piping hot, filled with delicate noodles swimming in a flavorful broth. The noodles had a great texture and were cooked to perfection, plus there were bits of meat for added protein. To my surprise, there were a few pieces of dumplings in the soup. They were a nice addition, bursting with a savory filling. Kalguksu is easily one of my favorite Korean dishes because of its simplicity, and this one was the best I've had so far.

Myeongdong Kyoja

Overall, I had a fantastic experience at Myeongdong Kyoja and can definitely see why it's so popular. If you're looking for a delicious and affordable meal in Seoul, I highly recommend giving this Bib Gourmand restaurant a try.