While Jeju Island may be famous for its stunning natural beauty, it's also a culinary destination. With its fresh seafood, unique agricultural products, and traditional cooking methods, Jeju offers a diverse and unforgettable gastronomic experience.

Here are five must-try local dishes that I tried during my trip.

5 Must-Try Foods in Jeju Island

1. Black Pork Samgyeopsal

Let's start with this - Jeju's black pork is renowned for its exceptional quality. Raised freely on the island and fed a diet rich in acorns, the pigs develop a deep flavor that sets them apart from ordinary pork. The meat is tender, juicy, and incredibly flavorful. Grilling it up as samgyeopsal - thick slices of pork belly - was an absolute treat. And I love samgyeopsal, so this was one of my favorite meals in Jeju.

Jeju Food
grilled black pork with mushrooms and abalone

Black pork samgyeopsal is so popular that there's even a whole street dedicated to it, Black Pork Street, where you can find many samgyeopsal restaurants. These restaurants further elevate the meal by including seafood alongside the meat. This combination creates a nice contrast of flavors and textures.

2. Grilled Mackerel

Fresh seafood is abundant in Jeju, and grilled mackerel is a must-try. I had it at a restaurant called Jeju Mihyang, which was located near the Cheonjeyeon Waterfalls. It was served fresh and still piping hot, and the waitress made quite a performance of deboning and slicing the fish. 

grilled mackerel with side dishes

The fish I had was enormous and cooked to perfection, with crispy skin and tender, juicy flesh. It was also served with at least eight side dishes, which made the meal even more enjoyable. Overall, it was a really flavorful and satisfying meal.

3. Gogi Guksu

Gogi guksu was also memorable for me. It's hearty pork noodle soup, which is a local specialty on the island. This dish is a quintessential Jeju comfort food, and for good reason. The rich, flavorful broth is packed with tender slices of pork and springy noodles. 

Jeju Food
gogi guksu

I tried it at an old noodle restaurant called Geumbok Sikdang, located in Dongmun Market. You can read about my entire experience at this place in one of my previous blogs.

4. Abalone

Abalone is a prized delicacy in many cultures, and Jeju is no exception. Often served with noodles or in rice porridge, I opted for a different take at Yang's Jeju Abalone - abalone with steamed rice and topped with seaweed. While the restaurant has high ratings, the dish fell a bit flat for me. The abalone itself lacked the rich flavor I expected. The texture of abalone was similar to that of squid, and the taste was mostly just salty. 

Jeju Food
steamed rice with abalone and seaweed

It was good, but I probably won't order it again. Perhaps the noodle soup variation would have been a better choice to bring out the abalone's taste. 

Overall, I still had a pleasant dining experience at this restaurant. They do serve abalone porridge and soup, but I opted for rice that day because I was really hungry. The owner was quite nice and friendly. He kept asking me how the food was. He also refilled my side dishes a few times, even though it was technically a self-service restaurant. They also offered free unlimited drinks, which I enjoyed because they had Coke slushies, and for the price of KRW15,000 for my meal, I really can't fault it.

5. Hallabong Ice Cream

No trip to Jeju is complete without indulging in hallabong, a sweet and tangy citrus fruit native to the island. Hallabong ice cream is the perfect way to cool down and try the unique flavor. The ice cream was creamy and sweet, with a refreshing citrus tang. The addition of fresh hallabong slices elevated the dessert to a whole new level.

Jeju Food
hallabong ice cream


Jeju Island truly offers a unique culinary adventure, with something to satisfy every craving. While my personal taste buds may have differed on some dishes, my overall food experience on the island was great. I really enjoyed the food in Jeju. 

If you're traveling to the island, I highly recommend trying the local dishes rather than buying at convenience stores or dining at your fast-food faves.