Busan is a haven for seafood lovers and beach bums. This South Korean city has a hidden gem called milmyeon. It might look simple, but this noodle dish originated in Busan and is the perfect way to cool down on a hot day.

Milmyeon in Busan
bibim milmyeon

Milmyeon comes in two main varieties: mul milmyeon and bibim milmyeon. Mul milmyeon features a clear, chilled broth made with beef or anchovies, sometimes infused with kelp and other vegetables. For those who crave a bolder experience, bibim milmyeon offers a spicy kick. The noodles get a vibrant red makeover with a gochujang-based sauce. Vegetables like shredded cucumber and radish add a nice crunch, while the egg provides a creamy contrast to the spice.

I was walking around the Nampo Market area, looking for a place to eat, and I stumbled upon Halmae Gaya Milmyeon, which mainly offers milmyeon. I opted for the bibim milmyeon because I love spicy food. I didn't know that it was a local specialty. I only found out after some Googling. This also explains why I haven't come across this dish in Seoul.

The restaurant also offers steamed mandu or Korean dumplings.

Mandu
steamed mandu

Everything I tried there was so good. The bibim milmyeon had a nice spicy flavor, which added some contrast to the cold broth. The serving size was also good, and I think it may have been too much for me. Additionally, the dumplings were huge. I couldn't finish all my noodles, and the restaurant owner gladly placed them in a takeaway box for me. She even added an extra piece of egg at no cost.

If ever you're in Busan, I would highly recommend trying milmyeon. It's a nice refreshing noodle dish to eat, especially on a hot day.