Traveling is quite an expensive hobby. The plane tickets alone costs a lot, and same goes for the accommodations. And also the activities, because you have to make the most of your trip, am I right? To be honest, I live on a limited budget and at my age, it is only practical to start saving up for the future and for retirement. But that does not mean that I should stop myself from traveling whenever I want to. I love traveling and it is my dream to travel the world, so whenever I can, I go on trips to make that dream happen. 

Being a budget traveler, I'd do everything I could to cut any unnecessary expenses during my trips. In my years of travel, I have learned a lot about spending my money wisely during a trip. So here are some tips and tricks that I want to share with you, so you too can travel while on a budget.

1. Always be on the lookout for promo fares.
Okay, so this is not entirely new. I know you have read this before but this is true. Most of my trips were on promo fares which is why I was able to travel a lot. Hate getting newsletters via email? Then it's high time that you change that mindset. Thanks to newsletters being sent by airline companies, I was able to book round trip tickets to another country for less than half of the original price. The regular fare costs around Php10,000 ($185), but the ones that I got cost only Php4,600 ($86). This is all because I got a notification via email that the airline was having a sale. So sign up for newsletters and be patient when searching for promo fares. 

2. Learn to appreciate hostels.
Everyone loves a nice, luxurious hotel when traveling. I mean, who doesn't? But more often than not, nice accommodations come with a hefty price tag - not at all ideal for budget travelers. This is where hostels come in handy. Hostels are budget-accommodations where guests stay in capsules or bunk beds inside a large dormitory. Bathrooms are shared and common areas like living room and kitchen are provided for the guests' convenience. One common concern when booking first time at a hostel is the safety of your belongings, which is very much understandable. But you'd be surprised to know that most hostels are safe. What I love most about hostels is that they provide a venue to meet and interact with fellow travelers from around the globe. Depending on the locations, hostels usually cost Php500 ($10) per night on the average. My advice is look for one that's affordable and with good reviews.

3. Go on DIY tours.
While everyone loves a hassle-free tour by getting tour package, this option can get quite expensive. You'll save a lot more by going on a DIY tour. All you need to do is do your research on the attractions that you want to visit and create your own itinerary. Check how much the transportation costs and if the attractions have an entrance fee. This will also give you an estimate on how much you will be spending on the tour. With DIY tours, you manage your own time so you can stay at a tourist spot for as long as you like. And who knows, you might stumble on a nice spot that's not on the itinerary of the tour packages.

4. Convenience stores and night markets are your best friends.
Whenever you travel, you just don't explore places; you also explore the local cuisine. You can't just visit a country without a taste of their local food.Which is why at least once a day, I recommend eating at local restaurants to try what the country has to offer. Here is what I usually do. For breakfast, if the accommodation does not include them, I'd buy some bread or pastry or local noodles at a nearby convenience store (like 7Eleven or Family Mart). Especially since I like to start my day early and a lot food places are not open at 6 or 7am. For lunch, I would eat at a local restaurant. I would usually splurge on lunch just because it's not everyday that I would eat lunch in that country. Then for dinner, I'd go to the local night market for cheap eats. 

5. Befriend the locals.
This is one tip that I can truly attest to. Here are reasons why you should be friendly with the locals. They can tell you where to get cheap food. They can tell you how much an activity usually costs, so you can avoid getting ripped off. They can tell you where to do your shopping. They can introduce you to other locals and business owners who can give you discounts. They can show you around for free. And so much more. In my case, I'd gotten stuff like free beer, free meal, and even free transportation around the area just by chatting up locals. Not that I intended to get free stuff like that. It's just that I'm a really chatty person. Also, for business owners, after they give me free stuff, I'd pay them in return by recommending them to my friends and other travelers which, of course, helps their business. It's a win-win.

6. Go backpacking. Literally.
Just bring a backpack with you, and nothing else. For one, you get to save on fees for checked-in baggage which cost at the very least $10, depending on the airline. Airlines actually allow one small luggage, weighing at most 7kg, and one personal item. What I usually do is bring a huge backpack or a duffel bag, which contains my clothes, shoes, and other necessities. Then I would bring a body bag or a handbag where I put in my valuables and gadgets (which actually weigh a lot, but then again airlines don't weigh your personal bag). Another perks of bringing just a backpack? You won't be tempted to shop.

7. Always bring a bottle of water.
Water is a basic need and bringing your own bottle whenever you go can actually save you a lot of money. A 500ml bottle of water on the average costs $2. And touring the city can be tiring and you would always feel the need to hydrate. The best thing to do would be to bring your own bottle or even buy a bottle of water at the airport, refill it every time you see a free water dispenser, and bring it everywhere you go during your trip. Imagine consuming the recommended two liters of water in a day every day for your whole trip. Now imagine how much you'd be able to save just by bringing your own bottle.

Okay, so that's about it for today's travel tips. I hope that was helpful especially to those of you who want to travel yet have a limited budget (just like me). 'Til the next post, folks!