Located in Brgy. Laiban where it was named after, Laiban Falls is one of Tanay's newest attractions. While it is a destination on its own, it can also be the perfect side trip after climbing Mt. Ngusong Kabayo and Mt. Tangwa.

I got to see Laiban Falls when I joined a trail run where the waterfalls was the U-turn point. The trail run started at Tanay Adventure Camp and I had to go through muddy single track trails, rough roads with steep elevations, and several stream crossings before getting to Laiban Falls. However, if you're going the "tourist route", then you just have to start from the jump off and from there, it will be an easy trek.


The only challenging part about it is that it can get slippery. Also, be prepared to get wet even before reaching the waterfalls because there are a couple of shallow streams to cross along the way. I've read that there are limatiks (blood-sucking leeches) in the area but I never encountered any. In any case, just be careful.

After a tiring trek, or a trail run in my case, the sight of the waterfalls was such a treat. It was breathtaking. The basin was so clear you could see the very bottom. The water was cool and refreshing that I wasn't able to resist taking a dip. 

Since I went to the falls on account of the trail race, meaning all fees were already part of the race registration fee, I had to do some research just to create a quick Laiban Falls travel guide.

Travel Notes:

How to get there:
  • From Starmall Shaw, ride a van or jeepney going to Tanay, Rizal. The latter is less expensive. Travel time is around two hours. From the drop-off at Tanay Market, ride a jeepney going to Brgy. Laiban, which will take another two hours.
Expenses:
  • transportation from Shaw to Tanay - Php70 for van, Php50 for jeepney
  • transportation from Tanay to Brgy. Laiban - Php75
  • registration fee - Php20
  • guide fee - Php500 for 5pax


Because of its proximity from the Metro, Laiban Falls is a great destination for when you just want to getaway from the city and be with nature. It is definitely one of the must-see waterfalls in Rizal. While I have already seen the waterfalls, I'm still putting it on my bucket list together with climbing Mt. Ngusong Kabayo and Mt. Tangwa for the full experience.