I’d tried makgeolli, a traditional Korean rice wine, before and really liked it, so when my friend suggested Sannulim 1992 for drinks, I was more than happy with their choice. The place has a huge selection of makgeolli to try, along with Korean dishes made for sharing and pairing with your drinks.

sannulim 1992

The interiors had a rustic, cozy feel, and while the place seemed pretty popular, it thankfully wasn’t crowded when we visited. I also really liked the atmosphere because it was chill rather than loud and rowdy, so we could actually sit there, have a few drinks, and talk.

We tried Boksoondoga Makgeolli, a light and fizzy sparkling makgeolli that was really easy to drink. Sannulim 1992 has plenty of different varieties to choose from, although I completely forgot how much we paid for ours.

sannulim 1992
yukjeon

For food, we ordered yukjeon for KRW34,000 and tofu kimchi for KRW26,000, with both dishes being good for sharing. Yukjeon is made with thin slices of beef coated in egg and pan-fried, while tofu kimchi is simply tofu served with kimchi, and both were delicious and paired really well with the makgeolli.

sannulim 1992
tofu kimchi (partially eaten), and some side dish, plus the makgeolli

I’ve read that Sannulim 1992 can get quite busy on weekends with long wait times, so we were really lucky that there weren’t many people when we went. If you’re planning to visit on a weekend, I’d recommend making a reservation through Catchtable instead. They also accept solo guests, with bar seating available, and you can select a party size of one when booking. I think this would make it a great option for solo travelers who want to try makgeolli.

Overall, I had a great experience here. Service was good and fast, the food was delicious, and I really enjoyed the vibe of the place. I already prefer makgeolli over soju, so Sannulim 1992 is exactly the kind of place I’d pick for drinks in Seoul, and I’d definitely recommend it.