Belgium surprised me. It wasn't just the beautiful buildings and historical sites I expected, but also the amazing food scene. 

Food in Belgium

On last year's trip, I went on a delicious journey trying some of the country's most famous eats in Belgium. From savory snacks to decadent desserts and local brews, Brussels offered something to satisfy every craving. Here are the things I tried and would recommend if ever you're visiting.

Frites

These were different from your average fries! Belgian fries are an art form. Twice-fried to crispy perfection on the outside, with a fluffy, soft center, they were simply divine.  Forget the ketchup – a simple dusting of salt was all they needed to shine. But in my case, I just had to have some cheese sauce on them because I love cheese. Paired with a local beer, they were the perfect on-the-go snack to fuel my exploration.

Food in Belgium

Liege Waffles

I love waffles, but the Liege waffle was on another level. It's a denser, caramelized cousin of the classic breakfast staple. The pearl sugar pockets in the batter created satisfying bursts of sweetness in every bite.  Dusted with powdered sugar or drizzled with rich Belgian chocolate sauce, these waffles were the perfect afternoon pick-me-up.

Food in Belgium

Chocolates

Belgium's reputation for chocolate is legendary, and for good reason!  From the moment I stepped into a local chocolate shop, I was surrounded by a dazzling array of pralines, truffles, and every other form of chocolatey creation imaginable. And I got to try them for free because these chocolate stores let customers have a taste of their chocolate before they decide on purchasing anything.

Food in Belgium

After trying almost every variant of chocolate offered at one store, I bought several boxes in different flavors. My luggage went from 13kg to 18kg just from all the chocolates I bought.

Of course, I also had to try Belgian hot chocolate.  This wasn't the sugary, powdered drink I was used to.  Thick, rich, and intensely chocolatey, it was pure comfort in a cup, especially on a chilly day.

Food in Belgium

Beer

No trip to Belgium is complete without sampling some of its world-famous beers. While I'm not a die-hard beer drinker, I couldn't resist trying a local brew... or two. 

Food in Belgium

The variety was astounding – from light and refreshing to strong and complex, there seemed to be a beer for every mood.  The experience of enjoying a local beer in a cozy pub, surrounded by lively conversation, was a taste of Belgian culture in itself.


Everything I tried was so good, including the meals I had at a few restaurants. And there's so much more to try than just the things I tasted. 

If you plan to visit Brussels, or any other city in Belgium, skip the tour books and just spontaneously walk the streets to explore all the delicious food yourself!