Brussels is a city that caters to all budgets, and so should your hotel! In this review, I'll be diving into my stay at Hotel Midi-Zuid, a "budget" hotel located close to the heart of the city. Yes, I'm putting quotation marks, and you'll find out why when you read on.

Hotel Midi-Zuid

Location

Hotel Midi-Zuid isn't centrally located, but it's close enough to the city center of Brussels. It's about a five-minute walk from the Brussels South/Midi train station, which is perfect because it was the drop-off point of the airport bus from Charleroi. It was also where I had to take the train going to Brussels-Zaventem Airport. While the neighborhood can appear sketchy because it's dirty and dingy, there wasn't any instance where I felt like I was in danger. 

Amenities

The amenities of the hotel were okay. It's a budget hotel, so I didn't expect much. The room was spacious enough for a solo traveler. The bed was small, but the size was just right for me, plus it was comfortable. Only one pillow was provided, though, which was a bummer, but there was even a desk and chair, so I had adequate workspace for my online job. There was a shower, toilet, and sink in the room. A towel and toiletries were provided. 

There was no air conditioning, but since I visited during spring, the weather was pleasantly cool, so I had no complaints.

Cleanliness

The room and the ensuite bathroom were passable in terms of cleanliness, although the common areas, such as the corridors, elevator, and staircase, weren't too clean. The building and its interiors also looked outdated. 

Customer Service

The customer service of Hotel Midi-Zuid was okay. I really didn't have interactions with the staff except when I checked in and out, so I have nothing else to say in this regard.

Price

I stayed here for two nights at a rate of PHP4,890 or EUR79 per night. And this was probably the cheapest hotel that's passable. Everything else at this price point had terrible reviews! So yes, it is a "budget" hotel because most hotels in Brussels cost more than EUR100 per night, but this hotel made the Scandinavian hotels I stayed at seem like luxury hotels. The quality isn't just up to par with its price.

This also shows that traveling to Belgium isn't as affordable as in other European countries. I paid nearly the same rate for my hotel in Paris, which was way better. I honestly felt a little ripped off but there's nothing else I could do. And I really didn't want to stay at a hostel.


Would I recommend it? If you can afford something better, then no, don't book with this hotel. But if you can't afford to pay more than EUR100 per night and you don't want to stay at a hostel, then this one is okay. At least the room was clean, and the bed was comfy.