I have tried a lot of new things during my travels, but this was, perhaps, the most memorable one. As someone who grew up and lives in a tropical country, we don't get all four seasons, so I'm always in awe whenever I travel abroad and experience the different seasons. 

Snowboarding for beginners

For the first time this year, I got to experience winter and snow during my second visit to Seoul, South Korea. This was in February. And because it was snowing in Seoul, winter activities were high on my list. I knew I wanted to try either skiing or snowboarding, but I couldn't decide. 

Eventually, the fates decided for me. I signed up for an all-inclusive package through Klook, and at the last part, where I had to choose between the two sports, there weren't slots left for skiing. So snowboarding it is!

What's Included in the Skiing / Snowboarding Package

When booking your package, there will be several options. The cheapest one includes roundtrip bus transportation from Seoul to the ski resort, snowsuit rental, gear rental, and, of course, either the skiing or snowboarding lesson.

Snowboarding for beginners

I got the all-inclusive package, which was also the priciest one, but it was super worth it, in my opinion. Apart from the basics, my package also included a lift pass so I could conveniently reach the other slopes, safety gear, including snow goggles and helmet, and a pair of snow gloves, which I got to take home afterwards.

As an added freebie that day, we also get a hot drink, with a choice of coffee or hot chocolate.

My Experience Snowboarding for the First Time

Okay, let's talk about the actual experience. Buckle up, because it was a wild ride. Literally!

The first hour and a half were dedicated to learning the basics with the instructor. We started with learning how to strap on the board and stand up while my feet were attached to it. Then we practiced balancing on the board, getting comfortable with the equipment, and – the most crucial skill – how to fall safely, because let's be honest, it's gonna happen.

Let's just say I spent a significant amount of time reacquainted with the snow.  Getting up after those falls was a whole other challenge – like a turtle trying to flip itself over! But the instructor was super encouraging, and laughter was definitely the soundtrack of the day. There were a couple of times when I almost fell on my face, but I broke the fall with my elbows. It did hurt but I felt like it was the safest thing to do.

Snowboarding for beginners

After several tries, I managed to do a few turns. They were very sloppy but it felt pretty darn amazing. Sure, I looked more like a flailing penguin than a graceful snowboarder, but hey, progress is progress!

In between practicing, I took a quick snack break as there was a food stall near the slopes. I had sotteok sotteok, which is a Korean snack made of skewered rice cakes and sausages with spicy sauce. I also had fish cakes with hot broth, and it was the perfect snack on a cold winter day.

Overall, it was a challenging but exhilarating experience. My body definitely felt it the next day, with sore legs and arms, plus some bruises, but the feeling of accomplishment and the memories made were totally worth it.

Snowboarding for beginners

Skiing or Snowboarding for Beginners Near Seoul

Convinced that you want to give snowboarding or skiing a try? Seoul is surprisingly close to some fantastic winter sports destinations. Here's the scoop on a few popular resorts:

  • Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort: This resort boasts a reputation for being beginner-friendly, with gentle slopes perfect for practicing your turns. Plus, it's the only one on this list accessible directly by public transportation – a bonus for budget-conscious travelers!
  • Vivaldi Park Ski World: Another great option for first-timers, Vivaldi Park offers a variety of slopes catering to all skill levels. They're also known for their awesome snow park, perfect for those looking to add some tricks to their repertoire.

You can head to these resorts directly or book a package with a tour company, just like I did. While going it alone offers flexibility, booking a package comes with some sweet advantages. 

Snowboarding for beginners

If you're going to look at packages, they may seem pricey, but you're actually getting the best deal. Packages typically bundle transportation, gear rental, lift passes, and lessons into one price, often at a discount compared to booking everything separately.


So, would I recommend snowboarding for beginners? Absolutely! 

Just be prepared to fall - a lot! But just laugh it off, embrace the learning process, and don't forget to have fun. And with the right package, like the one I had, you'll have everything you need for a fantastic day on the slopes.