I was looking for somewhere to eat at Incheon Airport before my flight when I came across Hwangsaengga Kalguksu. I noticed the Michelin Guide recognition and figured it was worth trying, especially since I was already in the mood for something warm and filling before flying.
Hwangsaengga Kalguksu is known for kalguksu, a Korean noodle soup made with knife-cut noodles served in broth. The original restaurant is located near Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul and has been recognized by the Michelin Guide, but the branch I visited was at Incheon Airport. Aside from kalguksu, they also serve dishes like wang mandu, or jumbo dumplings, boiled Korean beef, mandu soup, and other traditional Korean dishes.
The airport branch looked pretty busy when I arrived, but there wasn't actually a proper queue. There were just several people waiting around for tables to open up since you need to secure a table before ordering. As a solo traveler, I didn't have to wait too long, and once I found a table, I left my bag there to hold my spot before going to order.
I went for a set meal that came with kalguksu and a couple of mandu, along with rice and kimchi. The kalguksu noodles were perfectly cooked, and the warm broth made for a really comforting meal. The mandu were also big and juicy, and quite flavorful, and altogether it was much more filling than I expected.
I can't speak for how long the wait gets at the main location near Gyeongbokgung Palace, but judging by how busy the airport branch was, Hwangsaengga Kalguksu is clearly a popular choice. After trying it for myself, I can see why. The food was delicious, satisfying, and filling, and I'd say it was definitely worth the hype.

0 Comments